IMG8 tomatowatermelon1
robin's egg  blue
summer recipe
starsangria1
summer cocktail
rustic herb pots
IMG5
summer linen pillows summer dessert
prosciuttotoasts1
summer appetizers gift wrapping
IMG6 sodapopbrisket2
linen tea towel summer entree
hydrangea1
baking packaging
IMG7
summer entertaining
summer sides
candlecolorsphoto1
candle
tour our

Friday, January 3, 2014

Mimi's Creamy & Dreamy Hot Chocolate



We woke up to a new blanket of snow yesterday - a fresh way to start the new year and romanticize remaining (potentially long...) winter months.  As I've said, I actually love the quiet, coziness of January and February - warm soups, snuggly days, and hot chocolate.



Mike's parents are not coffee drinkers.  (Which happens to be the exact opposite of my parents, who start their morning with a full pot, then move to K-cups throughout the day and finish with decaf at night.)  But Mike's Mom & Dad do love real, decadent hot chocolate.  Joy (his mom, Emma's Mimi) recently shared her new favorite Hot Chocolate recipe, titled "Cream & Dreamy Hot Chocolate."  It is just that, so creamy and silky, hot chocolate "...as thick and rich as melted chocolate bars," - ok, not quite that rich, but it's a quote from Polar Express that I've read to Emma no less than 4 times a day for the past month.

One reason this is such a fabulous recipe is that it is very easy (no chopping chocolate) and it can keep in the refrigerator for quite a while (maybe a week plus?) so you can make one cup at a time to enjoy.  However, I have made it with milk (instead of water) and it is even more cream and dreamy than the original - but using the milk does shorten its lifespan... which wasn't a problem around here, as we're already on our third batch. 


























My favorite thing to do is put the cold mixture into my Nespresso Aeroccino.  It whips it up into a delicious creamy froth - no whip cream needed.  You can do the same thing with a whisk after heating it on the stove or in the microwave.  I've made a couple adjustments to the original recipe - I added a little bit more salt, and I use Vanilla Bean Paste instead of extract for that real vanilla bean essence.


Creamy & Dreamy 
Hot Chocolate



1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 cups of hot water (or milk)
Mini Marshmallows

In a large saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, vanilla and salt; mix well.  Over medium heat, slowly stir in water; heat through, stirring occasionally.  Do not boil.  Top with marshmallows.













I love baby hands holding Hot Chocolate... looks like me clutching my latte.  Wonder what she is pondering?



 Yum.


Happy Snow Day!

7 comments:

  1. Where does one find vanilla bean paste? What's a good brand. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am new to your blog but came via a blog friend, Tessa. She mentions you a lot and now I know why! Y'all seem to be kindred spirits. Have loved reading the few posts I have and happy to have a "new" blog to read, since it doesn't seem to be the cool thing for most to do anymore…I obviously disagree! :) Enjoy the snow - it's something my children only dream about down here on the Gulf Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. Will have to try it. I have been hooked on the Williams-Sonoma hot chocolate which is basically grated chocolate bars. What I use and would be wonderful for this is the Bialetti hot chocolate maker. It heats the milk and blends in the chocolate so you don't end up with sludge and it also gives you foam. I still put whipped cream on though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny
    Beautiful photos. Quick question who won that great giveaway of the Nepresso that you posted on Dec.16th.
    Happy New Years..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm. That sounds very delicious! I love those little hands as well. We've been warming up with hot cocoa up here in WI, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute photos, I was wondering where you got those cute white mugs. They look like the perfect size for small hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, was wondering where you got your wonderful white mugs?

    ReplyDelete

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
m21
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my tablet +
m37
fresh strawberry cupcakes
m42
m45
m60
breakfast
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
m70
festive
m74
peachscones1
corn1
tagsandcards1
IMG9
IMG10

everyday
Subscribe